THIS POST IS IN PAID SPONSORSHIP WITH ENDANGERED SPECIES CHOCOLATE.
ALL OPINIONS AND REVIEWS ARE 100% MY OWN.
Let me just paint you a picture. Flaky puff pastry, toasted coconut flakes, oozing rich milk chocolate, and a gooey caramel center inside. Are you drooling yet? These little treats are jam-packed with only the best ingredients. They’re super quick and easy to whip up, which is a good thing because they also disappear just as quickly! Originally, I made these to share over coffee with a friend. They paired so well together, getting to indulge in the flaky crust and decadent filling while sipping on a fresh warm latte! Unfortunately for my family, there were no leftovers to share. Hence me whipping up another quick batch to share the deliciousness with everyone (again, so glad for how quick and easy these come together!)
Caramel Stuffed Chocolate Puffs. Wrapped around by a flaky puff pastry, there’s a spoonful of toasted coconut underneath a gorgeous chocolate square with rich caramel filling, and then topped off with pecans. Could I load any more delicious ingredients into this beauty? (and yes, please read that question in your best Chandler Bing voice).
I’ve always been a big fan of puff pastry, but unfortunately have had the hardest time finding any in New York! Puff pastry is so fun to bake with, and it makes some seriously gorgeous creations. When I recently got my hands on Endangered Species Rich Caramel + Milk Chocolate Bar ,
I knew that it was time to figure out the puff pastry situation so that I could create this delicious combination. I’m not sure why it never crossed my mind to make puff pastry from scratch! I had always bought the frozen ones from the stores, because I assumed it was a long and complicated process to do at home. Well, I was wrong. I mean yes, you can definitely find a long and intricate pastry recipe- but who has the time for that? This recipe hack is so wonderful! You simply grate a frozen stick of butter and let all those buttery flakes incorporate themselves into the dough. With a quick egg wash on top, you get the flakiest and softest puff pastry possible!
Now the puff pastry definitely (and quite literally) lays the foundation for this dessert- but let’s talk about the real star of the show. Endangered Species Rich Caramel + Milk Chocolate Bar. It’s made of 48% cocoa, which makes it smooth and sweet. Encased inside the creamy chocolate is an ooey-gooey caramel center. Basically every bite of this is decadent deliciousness. You can see why this recipe was made for this chocolate bar! Each chocolate square gets to be the star in it’s own pastry wrap. This particular chocolate bar is a new addition to the Endangered Species chocolate line, along with their Fudgy Peanut Butter + Milk Chocolate bar. As always, Endangered Species makes a promise to send 10% of their net profits to saving wildlife- a goal that I can definitely stand behind (especially if it’s as easy as purchasing their tasty chocolate)! So as we trust they are responsibly sourcing their premium chocolate, we can also be assured that there are no additives or sweeteners in their products. That means when I bake with their chocolate, I know the true flavors and ingredients that are enhancing my dessert!
Overall, this recipe is simple yet truly decadent! It’ll only take a few minutes to put together, but the compliments will keep going long after they finish!
Caramel Chocolate Pastry Puffs
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, frozen
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 bar of Endangered Species Rich Caramel + Milk Chocolate Bar
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes, toasted
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp water
- Using a grater, carefully grate the frozen butter on the larger hole option of the grater. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, attach the dough hook. Mix together the flour, salt, and grated butter. Add in the water gradually. Allow the water to bring the dough together to form a ball. Do not over knead the dough.
- Lightly flour a surface and place the dough on top. Using a rolling-pin, roll the dough into a rectangle that is approximately 1/4 inch thick. Gently fold the dough into thirds. Wrap with plastic tightly and refrigerate for 1 – 2 hours.
- When ready, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Create the egg wash by mixing the egg and water in a bowl until they blend together. Set aside.
- Take the dough out of the fridge and gently unfold it. Cut the dough into 6 equal squares. Top each square with 1 tablespoon of coconut flakes and then a chocolate square. Wrap the pastry as you see fit.* Gently brush the pastry with the egg wash and sprinkle the chopped pecans on top.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until the top is golden brown. Allow to cool for 1-2 minutes and then serve fresh!
instructions on different folding techniques!