Some days you just want something sweet on hand. And by that I mean, I want some snackable dessert that’s ready in the fridge and I can sneak a bite every few minutes. I was originally planning on making some of my customized Twix bites. Golden toasted shortbread discs, some chewy caramel, and dark chocolate decadence. What’s not to love? But as I started baking the shortbread crust, my mind wandered off and I started craving Samoas. Ya know, those Girl Scout Cookies- sorry sorry, I mean *the best* Girl Scout Cookies. If you don’t know what I’m talking about, then wow. You’ve been missing out. They’re simple vanilla cookies with caramel coated coconut flakes, and drizzled chocolate on top. They’re seriously addictive and soooo good. So, as the shortbread was baking, I realized I could easily do an inspired version of Samoas! After all, I’m always down for anything coconut and chocolate.
A golden shortbread foundation. A chewy coconut layer. And then drenching the entire thing in dark decadent chocolate. It’s a no brainer. I ended up slicing these into mini bars (think fun size candy), but then went back to slice them again into square bites. That way, I could easily pop one in my mouth, instead of having to bite the bar and creating crumbs. Also this allowed for more pieces, which helped this dessert last just a few minutes longer. As always, my recipes are simple yet addictively delicious. This recipe has three layers: shortbread, coconut filling, chocolate topping. And only the shortbread layer requires baking! The other two are just filled on top and then the entire pan is placed in the fridge so it can set. It’s truly a low risk, high reward dessert that you will be grateful for every time you open the fridge and sneak a bite.
Chocolate Coconut Bars
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups coconut flakes
- 1 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup bittersweet chocolate 70-99% cacao preferred
For shortbread crust:
- In a mixer bowl with paddle attachment, mix butter and salt on medium speed until creamy.
- Add powdered sugar and continue to mix until well blended. Add flour, cornstarch, and vanilla extract. Mix until just combined and mixture comes together to form clumps.
- Transfer the dough into a parchment-lined 9x9 baking pan. Pat down the dough evenly and use a fork to dock the dough.
- Bake at 350 degrees F on the middle rack for 20 minutes or until golden tan in color. Then remove from oven and place aside.
For coconut layer:
- In a bowl, mix together the coconut flakes and condensed milk until coated evenly. Transfer on top of the shortbread crust.
For chocolate topping:
- In a double boiler set up*, melt chocolate chips until smooth and creamy.
- Pour melted chocolate on top of the coconut layer, making sure to cover the entire layer.
- Place into the fridge and allow to set. About 2 hours.
- Cut into evenly sliced bars. I made 32 pieces, by 4x8 rows.