If you haven’t noticed, I’ve recently been in a full on chocolate obsession (which is still not completely over tbh). From new cookie recipes to chocolate biscottis, I have been incorporating as many versions of chocolate into my daily diet as humanly possible. This recipe made me break the obsession…okay maybe not fully break it because the chocolate addiction is strong, but it got me excited about a whole other bake! Of course it had help because biscottis are all about being paired up with a freshly brewed cup of coffee so how’s a girl to say no??
This recipe is more in the line of classic biscotti. The last biscotti recipe was in my chocolate daze and it was almost a cross between brownie brittle + biscotti. A combination that I didn’t even mean to make, but people couldn’t resist & neither could I!
This one, however, is a nod to the biscotti that I was first introduced to & that started my love for biscotti. It was a simple almond biscotti that was lightly dipped in a chocolate layer. This new recipe uses the same whole almonds that give it that nutty texture and taste, but with an addition of light coffee & cardamom as well. It’s toasted and crunchy, but also light and flavorful. You can add a layer of chocolate or leave it naked. Either way, when you dip it into your morning coffee then you won’t be able to resist!
And you don’t have to solely take my word for it! I visited a professor last week & got to drop off a few biscottis with him- his response has to be the kindest remarks I have ever received about my baking.
So kind in fact that I dropped a little screenshot here to share the evidence! So two things I realized: 1) he should become a food critic because that review was so detailed & wonderful & 2) it should definitely convince you to whip up a batch for this season!
- 1/2 cup whole almonds
- 1/3 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp instant coffee powder
- 1/4 tsp (or 1/2 tsp depending on preference) cardamom powder
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate, melted
- Preheat oven to 300 F. Also, prepare a large baking pan with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- With the stand mixer + paddle attachment, cream together butter with both sugars until fluffy.
- Add eggs, vanilla extract, coffee powder, and cardamom powder. Mix until well combined.
- Gradually add flour, baking powder, and salt into wet mixture. Mix until well incorporated.
- Fold in the almonds into the mixture.
- Divide the dough in half and shape each into a log form on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown and firm to touch. Allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- With a serrated knife, diagonally slice each log into 1/2-3/4 inch thickness. Place the slices cut side up back onto the baking pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Then remove the pan and flip the biscotti to the opposite side. Bake for another 10 minutes.
- The slices should be lightly toasted at this point. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- Either dip the biscotti into melted chocolate or using a rubber spatula, spread the chocolate on the bottom of each biscotti.
- Allow chocolate to harden, and then serve with a fresh cup of coffee!